The Tower

Williams, G. ORCID: 0000-0003-3212-8167, 2005. The Tower. sense of place : place of sense, Beacon Arts Project, South Kyme, 1-30 September 2005.

Item Type: Exhibition
Creators: Williams, G.
Contributors:
NameRoleORCID
Plowman, J.Curator of an exhibitionUNSPECIFIED
Date: 2005
Description: The tower is a four storeyed battlemented keep, approximately 77 ft in height and built in ashlar dressed oolitic Ancaster limestone. It is the remains of a moated fortified manor house or ‘castle’, built by Gilbert de Umfraville, Earl of Angus in the 1350s as a flamboyant status symbol. It probably had two towers and another two storey building adjoining the present tower. The only invasion the ‘castle’ experienced was by an inquisitive bullock in 1946 which climbed the 108 steps of the narrow spiral staircase to the top. Villagers struggled to get the bullock down, eventually frightening him down backwards. Williams’ intervention at South Kyme Tower contradicted visitors’ expectations of place and architectural space at this medieval building.
Official URL: http://beaconartproject.org/projects/sense-place-p...
Event Title: sense of place : place of sense
Event Location: Beacon Arts Project, South Kyme
Event Dates: 1-30 September 2005
Divisions: Schools > School of Art and Design
Depositing User: Jill Tomkinson
Date Added: 15 Nov 2018 12:00
Last Modified: 15 Nov 2018 12:00
URI: http://irep.ntu.ac.uk/id/eprint/34996

Actions (login required)

Edit View Edit View

Views

Views per month over past year

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year